Monday, November 14, 2005

Ze Bomb scare in Brisbane?

Maybe there was, and maybe there isn't, but you wouldn't be able to find any references to it in the media at the moment this post is published. One reason, I believe, would be to prevent any mass panicking... It was 12:05. The bus was late, and a middle length queue had already formed. I joined the queue and read a book while waiting. This was an occasion I was glad I didn't bring my earphones along today. Suddenly, a PA was made. I thought it was just a normal routine announcement when I caught the words... "all services are currently delayed till further notice." Ok, that got me abit worried. One Aussie auntie went to the information counter to ask for further information, and was told nothing. She tend started telling everyone that they refused point blank to tell her any more information. I talked to the auntie in front of me, and we agreed it would most probably be a bomb scare.

I decided to take a walk around and said goodbye to the auntie. While browsing some mags and then checking out the PC games. (no pirated stuff. so sad. :( ) As I just returned to the bus stop (which is under a mall like in Sengkang), the second annoucement came. "buses have stopped services and the buses had been told to drop off all passengers at their CURRENT location."

This was definately a bomb threat. Oddly enough, the queue had vanished and I rejoined a much shorter line. (YAY!) The auntie was now 1 person ahead of me, and I took out my book to read again. She was talking to the person now in front of me and I couldn't help eavesdropping. The auntie said that the trains were also not working.

At around 12:35pm, they announced yet again that the buses were now working, but some services are still not ready. They also said that the bus I was taking, was not available. Nabeh!

Meanwhile the place was getting quite crowded and despite the aircon it was getting stuffy. The busbay was virtually empty, though a few buses drove by to offload their passengers and off again without picking any.

After close to 1 hour of total waiting time, the bus finally came at 1pm. For a lunchtime bus, it was packed to the max, and as the bus went on the route, you could see the crowds at bustops around the city waiting for their buses.

I was kinda worried though. What if they did not find any bomb because the bomb was cunningly concealed? And then I had the thought, that I was on a freaking bus and it being packed and what if this stupid bus was the one with the bomb?

Luckily, nothing happened...else I wouldn't be typing this no?

If I get more news and stuff (official reports), I'll post it here.

Cheers for now~

edit: News reports have started trickling in like only 2 hours after.. Courier Mail

For a internet news source, Crikey.com.au only reported this at 5pm Brisbane time.

That's like almost all the news I can find at the moment. Geez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home